Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Shelf Analysis: Typography in 2013 Teen Reads

It's been awhile since I've done a Shelf Analysis - mostly because no YA cover trends have really stuck out for me. But while perusing my 2013 shelf on goodreads, I noticed something somewhat usual... typography!

To those of you who are a bit confused by the term, typography is basically the art of aranging types to make things look gorgeous. To put that in book cover terms: covers where the focus is on the print of the title or the author's name, rather than an image.

Take a look at these upcoming YA books (this is a bit of a Waiting on Wednesday post, as well!) and you'll see what I mean!


Not a Drop to Drink by Mindy McGinnis
Out on September 10th 2013 by Katherine Tegen Books - goodreads

Black Out by Robison Wells 
Out on October 1st 2013 by Harper Teen - goodreads


The Chaos of Stars by Kiersten White
Out on September 10th 2013 by Harper Teen - goodreads

Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea by April Genevieve Tucholke
Out on August 15th 2013 by Dial - goodreads


In The After by Demitria Lunetta
Out on June 25th 2013 by Harper Teen - goodreads

Snow White Must Die by Neil Neuhaus
Only out in Australia, I'm afraid! *cries* - goodreads 

Typography-focused covers are by no means a new thing, but it is rather unusual to see them in YA novels. My favourites are the covers of Not a Drop to Drink and Snow White Must Die - absolutely stunning! I have no idea when or why these covers came back into fashion, but I fully approve!

3 comments:

  1. All these books have great covers and sound really interesting.

    Kat
    www.katsbookbuzz.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a fabulous post. Not a Drop to Drink is my waiting on wednesday post this week. I love the cover :)

    Toni @ My Book Addiction

    ReplyDelete
  3. Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea is on my must read list for the year. I have the ARC, and even though I have tons of books to read before it, I keep staring at it, wanting to read it already.

    My "Waiting On" Wednesday
    LisaILJ @ I’ll Tumble for YA

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...